Isle Martin is one of the Summer Isles.
Located at the mouth of Loch Broom, some three miles north-west of Ullapool in Wester Ross.
The nearest mainland is less than a mile away at Ardmair. This strategic location has been important in both the commercial and cultural history of the island.
In good weather and calm seas we operate a small passenger ferry between Ardmair and Isle Martin.
The island is approximately 400 acres in size and lies below the towering cliffs of Beinn Mhor Coigach and opposite the ancient Viking Fort of Dun Canna.
The Summer Isles are an archipelago;- a group of islands which lie off Achiltibuie on the beautiful Coigach Peninsula.
The Isle Martin Trust, registered charity was established in May 1999 as guardian of the island on behalf of the communities of Lochbroom and Coigach.
The island was gifted to the communities by the RSPB.
Isle Martin Trust is a company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No. 195769 Scottish Charity Number SC028934
The aims and objectives of the Isle Martin Trust are;
- To maintain and develop Isle Martin as an important part of the local natural, cultural and human heritage, through a broadly based partnership of local interest, by:
- Regenerating the quality and diversity of the natural heritage of the island
- Developing the educational, cultural, human and recreational potential of the island as an important local and national resource
- Identifying opportunities for sustainable economic activity in so far as it is consistent with conserving the natural habitat and wildlife interest of the island and the Trust’s charitable status
- Encouraging and ensuring open access to the island
To meet these objectives, the Trust needs the support of the community,
who by annual or life subscription may become members, and those friends who may live outwith the area but have a special affection and concern for Isle Martin, Ullapool and Loch Broom.
We have no regular or core funding and rely on membership fees and fundraising. Recent projects including the purchase of a new boat and employment of our Access Officer. We have received funding from the organisations shown below.